Grades 5 & 6
Grades 8 & 9
Grades 8 & 9 Video
Before viewing the following videos, please refer to the "Youth Tobacco Prevention Video Overview" page or download the pdf here. To view the videos click on the names to the left of the video screen. Be sure to scroll to the end of this guide for suggested classroom discussion starters.
Stressed Length: 3 min. 28 sec.
Getting Started: Incorporating the Video
- Introduce video as a part of or after Activity 6: Dealing with Stress
- See page 13 of Overview Booklet from the RDRN curriculum for a step-by-step review of the Decision-Making Process
- See page 14 of Overview Booklet from the RDRN curriculum for an overview of peer influence and peer acceptance
List of Characters and Their Roles
- Evan (Main Character): High school student. Dealing with a lot of internal stress and pressure due to his grades.
- Carla: Evan's friend. A smoker who desires to quit.
- Teacher: One of the teachers at the school.
Situation: Dealing with Stress
This situation takes place at Evan's locker in the school hallway.
Evan gets frustrated by not being able to open his locker…and Carla laughs at him. Evan appears to be stressed about a lot of issues: math, parents, soccer practice, Felicia, locker, and a monster zit. He makes a statement to Carla about needing a cigarette, even though he does not smoke, but Carla tries to discourage him and states that she is trying to quit. When Carla walks away, her cigarettes fall out of her backpack and Evan considers picking them up.
Pause the Video: Suggested Classroom Discussion Starters
- What issues are Evan dealing with in this situation?
- What effect do these issues seem to be having on his behavior?
- How do you think tobacco will affect Evan's stress?
- What do you think would be the consequences of getting caught with tobacco and how would this affect Evan's stress?
Restart the Video
The Decision: Evan's Decision-Making Process
Evan must decide how he is going to deal with the stress he is experiencing in his life.
Evan reviews the decision-making process by thinking about trying a cigarette, the possibility of being suspended if caught on campus with a cigarette, how he might find more positive ways of coping, and how he will just walk away and leave the cigarettes.
The Choice: Evan Says No to Tobacco and Finds Another Way to Relieve Stress
Evan is stressed about many issues in his life, but realizes that tobacco is the one thing that he does not have to worry about right now. He makes the decision not to try tobacco and to find another way to relieve the stress he has in his life. Evan takes another look at the cigarettes Carla dropped on the floor and chooses to walk away.
Conclusion of the Video: Suggested Classroom Discussion Starters
- Do you think Carla's discouragement about trying cigarettes when she is trying to quit helped Evan to make the right decision?
- Provide suggestions of other activities Evan can do to relieve his stress. What can you do on an ongoing basis to keep your stress levels down?
- Describe some stressful situations that you have dealt with in your life. Explain what you did to alleviate the stress.