Grades 5 & 6
Grades 8 & 9
Grades 8 & 9 Video
Before viewing the following videos, please refer to the "Youth Tobacco Prevention Video Overview" page or download the pdf here. To view the videos click on the names to the left of the video screen. Be sure to scroll to the end of this guide for suggested classroom discussion starters.
Gamers Length: 3 min. 35 sec.
Getting Started: Incorporating the Video
- Introduce video as a part of or after Activity 3: Tobacco Use - The Health Consequences
- See page 13 of Overview Booklet from the RDRN curriculum for a step-by-step review of the Decision-Making Process
- Review "How to Say No" poster for overview of refusal skills
- Review "Look What Tobacco Can Do" poster for overview of health consequences
List of Characters and Their Roles
- Connor (Main Character): Friend of Ethan and Bobby. Confronted by peer pressure from a friend that is using smokeless tobacco.
- Ethan: Friend. Exhibiting signs of addiction to tobacco.
- Bobby: Friend. Influenced by others around him.
Situation: Friends Using Tobacco at Home
Connor and Bobby are at Ethan's house playing video games while Ethan's parents are out of town.
The friends are playing video games at Ethan's house when Ethan pulls out an almost empty can of dip. He begins to look under the mattress and in the trash pulling out empty cans until he finds a fresh can in his sock drawer. Ethan and Bobby are going to take some tobacco from the can…and they try to pressure Connor into trying some by calling him names and teasing him.
Pause the Video: Suggested Classroom Discussion Starters
- How do you think Connor feels having his friends using smokeless tobacco and pressuring him to try?
- Display the "Look What Tobacco Can Do" poster and ask the students to give an example of the possible health consequences of Ethan and Bobby using smokeless tobacco.
- What causes addiction to tobacco products and how does it affect the body?
- What do you think is the right decision for Connor to make in this situation?
Restart the Video
The Decision: Connor's Decision-Making Process
Connor must decide if he is going to try the smokeless tobacco like Bobby or if he is going to take a stand and say no to tobacco.
Connor reviews the decision-making steps by discussing how he has learned about addiction in school, how he wants to get his friends to stop pressuring him to try dip, and his decision to use the refusal skill of giving a reason and explaining why he said no.
Refusal Skill: Connor uses the "Give Them a Reason" and "Explain Why You Said No" Refusal Skill
Connor chooses to stay tobacco free and not to give in to the peer pressure from his friends. He does not want to try smokeless tobacco and does not want to get addicted, but he also does not want to lose his friendship with Ethan and Bobby. He says no to his friends and helps to educate Ethan about the risks of smokeless tobacco and then decides to re-focus his friend's attention on their gaming contest.
Conclusion of the Video: Suggested Classroom Discussion Starters
- How would you handle a situation where two of your friends were using tobacco and tried to pressure you into trying it?
- Would your decision change if they stated that they would no longer be your friend?
- Would tobacco use affect your decision to befriend someone?
- If you had a friend that used tobacco, are there things you can do to help your friend to make the right decision about saying no to tobacco and choose to be tobacco free?